- You are not ever allowed to complain about your weight. This is because you will ALWAYS be accused of ‘attention whoring’.
- You are not allowed to complain if clothes are too baggy, a store has run out of your size. This is because we have ‘thin privilege’.
- As a thin girl, we are instantly accused of hating ‘fat’ girls, or anyone larger than us. Our weight defines our mentality and how we see people. Our opinion in the weight debate is not valid. Ever.
- Never exercise. Or at least don’t tell people you do. You’re a no good anorexic if you do. Or worse, you wish you were. Perfectly logical.
- For some reason, you want to shag every male friend you have, despite being in a loving relationship. So don’t bother with male friends, everyone will accuse you of being a skank.
- Thin fashion models don’t effect us as a weight bracket. They only offend girls larger than us. You know, because we’re not tired of seeing the same body shape in the fashion industry, or have been hurt by the ignorant comments such as ‘ZERO IS NOT A SIZE’ and how a thin body isn’t feminine.
- If you’re below the nation’s average you have no muscle or fat. Just skin and bone.
- If you get into an argument with anyone bigger than you, it’s accepted that you hate them because they’re bigger.
- It’s okay to get our clothes size wrong when buying us a gift, “Sorry, I didn’t realise you were THAT skinny” is always the perfect companion to a present.
- Feel free to pinch our arms, lift us up, circle our wrists to express your DISBELIEF at how thin we are. That doesn’t hurt our feelings, and if it did, once again, attention whoring is all we’re doing.
All body shapes are beautiful. As a thin girl I believe this. The above are things that have been said,suspected, and speculated about me my whole life - yesterday being another case.
A woman, in a well known fashion store, told me it wasn’t the dress (a small) that fitted big, I was just shaped awkwardly and should probably put some weight on.
This is JUST as offensive as saying something is too small and you should lose weight. The comment completely devalued my body, completely.
So as a Thin girl, this is what I’ve learned.
People think it’s okay to hate on skinny girls because the skinny body is ‘desirable’ according to the media. When I express my unhappiness with my body people initially are disturbed and assume I want to become skinnier but NO HELLO why is that the immediate assumption?
And don’t even fucking GET ME STARTED on that ‘only dogs go for bones’ bullshit. It makes me fucking sick to stomach. Emily is not a ‘dog’ because she is attracted to slimmer girls, and neither are the husbands, wives, girlfriends and boyfriends of other skinny girls! Maybe they like OUR PERSONALITIES.
And I cannot even tell you the amount of times I’ve heard chubby girls say that skinny girls deserve to hate their bodies because skinny girls bullied them and made them hate themselves in school. They shouldn’t have fucking bullied you in the first place! You know how it feels, why would you wish that on someone else? The entire skinny-girl population didn’t bully you!
Love this. And I am a fat girl. I have thin friends that struggle with every single one of the things in this list. And they have MANY more self esteem issues than I’ve ever had.
No form of body shaming is okay.